Thursday, January 05, 2006

Learning the Piano

As part of my effort to expand my number of skills (already including bow hunting skills and computer hacking skills), I'm taking up the piano. I actually started a couple years ago in college, when I took 21M.051 and Devjit was teaching me some, but I never had the time to devote to it. But now that I'm a lame, single, working man, I have all the time in the world! To get started, I ordered a keyboard, the Casio PX-100 with CS-55 stand (shown left). It's got 88 weighted keys and a pretty simple set of features, which is all that I need. Should arrive soon. :)

My ultimate goal, many years or decades down the road, is to be able to play (or at least sight read) all of Chopin's nocturnes, Schubert's Impromptu in G Flat Major (which Kevin plays these days), and Beethoven's Sonata No. 8 in C Minor "Pathetique". It will probably take a long time to get to that point, but it will be fun. Oh, and if anyone knows of any good piano teachers in the Boston/Cambridge area, please let me know.

On the theme of music, Raudel pointed me to a really cool website, called The Sheet Music Archive, where they have a large collection of public domain sheet music available for download. Unfortunately you can only download 2 pieces per day, but they are selling their entire collection on CD-ROM for $20. I might have to order that, even though it's all probably out of my league at this point.

1 Comments:

At 9:14 PM, Blogger Dan Craig said...

You'll most likely be in luck, it's scheduled to arrive Jan 12.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home