Friday, February 17, 2006

Junk Snail Mail Filter?

Spam blockers seem to be doing a pretty good job these days. They still say that something like 2/3 or more of all email in the world is spam, but it seems like only occasionally (every few days or so) something slips through the filter. I wish I could say the same about snail mail.

There once was a time when receiving a letter was fun and exciting. Those days passed a long time ago along with brown wrapping paper and string. Now it seems like 2/3 or more of all the snail mail I receive is a credit card offers. Even from the same company that I already have a credit card with. I don't get it. If I could filter out all this junk mail, my life would be more relaxed. But how would we go about doing this?

Turns out there is something like it: mail forwarding. When you move and sign up for mail forwarding at the post office, they forward everything except third class mail (or I guess "Standard Mail (TM)" as they seem to be calling it now), the class that all the junk mail gets sent in. They should offer this as a straight up service. A "National Do Not Mail Thrid Class" list, if you will. If they're going to junk mail spam you, make them pay. I've sent a request to the Postal Service, and if you agree with me, you should too. It might take legislation to enact this, so maybe we should write our congressmen and women, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home