Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Mini-rant on Patents

Brief mini-rant before I get back to work. I want to install an electronic gyro in an aircraft cockpit panel. That panel is offset by some number of degrees from the vertical when the airplane is sitting on the ground. I want to make sure that the horizon line is level at 0 degrees pitch when the airplane is sitting on the ground. Obvious solultion is to take the negative of the pitch angle measured while sitting on the ground and use that to offset the pitch displayed in flight. Takes about 10 seconds to come up with this idea, which is really just one line of subtraction. But I can't do it because it's patented. Someone patented a line of subraction. Now I have to do some hokey manual workaround that makes the system more difficult to use so that I don't use the obvious method. Isn't it great that our IP system encourages such innovation and advancement?

4 Comments:

At 2:11 AM, Blogger Dan Craig said...

No really, it is just one line of subtraction. To implement this in code is to say "when sittin on the ground, pitch bias = - current pitch" and then, "actual pitch = measured pitch + pitch bias". That's it. Simple subtraction.

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger Dan Craig said...

I haven't actually read the patent, but that is a correct description of the technology. I know we are challenging the patent, but I haven't been briefed on any details.

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Dan Craig said...

I agree completely with you, and I hope that kind of rationale is what will allow us to get the patent thrown out. Patenting ideas just doesn't make any sense. But the question I have then is where is the line drawn between an "idea" and a "business practice"? For example, I read a few months ago about a restaurant that had a big ceral bar. The idea was that you mix up a bunch of the different types of cereal to create your own. Turns out someone patented that "business practice". Blows my mind.

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger Dan Craig said...

Here's the patent application. I guess they haven't recieved the patent yet, thank God.

I think it's funny that they applied for a patent because the comapny Cereality has on the website a quote saying "the concept is so absurdly simple".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home